The Measuring Spoon Café Recipes: A Preview of Volume II
We’d like to introduce you to the continuing story of Simple Cooking for Anyone.
Yes, technically this is a peek at Volume II of Simple Cooking for Single Dads, but
we have found that many cooks not classified as either Single Dads or Kitchen Chickens have been using volume I. While this should be regarded as an outrage punishable by an assignment at peeling potatoes or slicing onions! I say, if you like to cook, and we can make it simple, so what, welcome to the Measuring Spoon Café!
You say you’ve never been to the MSC? Here’s the short version. The name came when I asked my daughters, a lifetime ago (they were 11 and 7) what to call the assembly line on Sundays when the three of us cooked the two meals for the week. Now the older one has three of her own, ages 4 to 12, and the younger one is sharing her wooden spoon with a 3 year old! Ah, but when they were little, we voted on 4 or 5 names on little pieces of paper. One was Caila’s Kitchen the other, Darien’s Kitchen, a third, The Pop and Daughters Café, and some others. Well, you see the one that got the three votes… The rest is history.
So, here we pick up where we left off, literally. The recipes in Volume II just didn’t fit in Volume I. And besides, we saved the best for last. Including a couple of exotic dishes from Colombia. Besides, some are just a little more demanding; and if you have mastered Simple Cooking, then you are ready for A Little Less Simple Cooking for the Brave, aka, Simple Cooking for Single Dads, Volume II
Iron Skillet Cornbread
YOU WILL NEED
- A 10 inch iron skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Large mixing spoon (metal or plastic)
- 1 ½ cu Corn Meal
- ¼ cu Self-Rising, All Purpose Flour
- NOTE: it can be either self-rising Corn Meal or self-rising Flour
OR, if neither are self-rising, just add 4 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk plus 2 Tbs
- 3Tbs cooking oil, two times
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- Large, 2 quart (or larger) mixing bowl
- Preheat oven to 400
- Place iron skillet in oven while doing preparations
- Mix: flour, corn meal, salt, sugar, beaten eggs (mix with the large spoon; by hand is fine)
- ADD 3 Tbs of oil and sour cream, until all ingredients are in a thick mix, then
- ADD the ½ cu milk; keep mixing until the consistency of pancake mix.
- ADD the 2 Tbs of milk
- Carefully remove the very hot skillet from the oven
- Pour in the other 3 Tbs of cooking oil into the hot skillet, and with the wooden spoon move the oil around the skillet so it thoroughly covers the bottom and the sides
- Pour cornbread mixture into the skillet, crisscross excess oil across the mixture
At 400 for 20-25 minutes. Take out.